Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I have two more posts to make, so lets just talk about what I liked and what I didn't

I enjoyed reading the book Into The Wild, by Jon Krakauer. It was an intresting read about the life and death of Chris McCandless. Although it seems insignificant, it was more than just a cocky college kid who walked out into Alaskan wilderness. For those of you who have read my blog posts above, here is an overall review of the book.....

What I liked: It was very well written, very well reaserched, and very well thought out. Krakauer did a brilliant job of setting the scene by always introing us with brilliant passages that lead us into the chapter while updating us to where Chris is. He also shows how well he reaserched it, finding and pieceing together tiny bits of information , like how he traced "NEMO 1934 carved into a stone slab" (Krakauer 94), to Everatt Ruess, who he related to Chris through a comparison of their deaths. Krakauer also thought out the book very well. He would cleverly find information, and lead the reader to make conclusions rather than just shoving them down our throats.

What I didn't like: I was often bugged by the character Chris. He bugged me because he seemed very cocky sometimes, and very noble at others. I was very bugged by the knowledge that he was extremely unprepared. All the food he had was "a ten pound bag of long-grained rice--and two sandwhiches and a bag of corn chips," (Krakauer 162), he didn't have good clothing or shelter, and finally HE DIDN'T KNOW WHERE HE WAS GOING!! This irratated me alot. Why would he be so neglegent? The only other thing that bothered me was that Krakauer seemed to become de-railed from the main focus. He'd go off on tangents for chapters about other people who suffered similar fates. Although it was intrested, I was much more excited to hear how Chris died.

I encourage everyone to read this book. It is intresting, and makes the reader think. I like it and you will too.





Jack approves this message

No comments: