Sunday, December 2, 2007

Dreams by Langston Hughes

Dreams
Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.
Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.

Langston Hughes

In the poem Dreams by Langston Hughes, Hughes explores the idea that without dreams, life is without meaning. Hughes's poem expresses that one can't give up on dreams and without dreams life is a waste. Hughes first express the need for dream in the first 4 lines when he says:
Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.
These 4 lines show that he thinks that life without dreams is a waste, like a "broken-winged bird/ That cannot fly" (Hughes 3-4). Next Hughes compares a life without dreams to a cold barren field when he says, "For when dreams go/ Life is a barren field/ Frozen with snow" (Hughes 6-8). In this part of the poem, Hughes compares a loss of dreams to a barren field while expressing that without dreams, nothing can happen, because being like a barren field, nothing will ever grow.

I found this poem compelling because it can relate to all people. All people dream and all people have felt the pain of losing something you've dreamed of. Another thing that made it compelling was Hughes's use of good metaphors. I can visualize his metaphors, like the broken-winged bird, and make the comparison to dreams. In general, I like the feel and rhythm of his poems, and thats why I chose it.

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

Jack- I really really like this poem. You're definitely right by saying it can relate to all people. I agree with Langston Hughes, always dream. He really made this short poem something extremely meaningful. Your analysis was well done. One thing I suggest is that your signal phrases don't say what the poet said. When you said,"Next hughes compares a life without dreams to a cold barren field when he says..." You shouldn't tell the reader what is being compared until after the quote. Just a suggestion though. Overall really nice choice in poem.

Ross C. said...

Nice poem Jack, luckily for me it seems to have an easily discoverable central metaphor (I'm usually not the best at finding them). I agree with your idea that life is not worth living without dreams, and believe that is what the author's point is. Poem is very short but sounds great. Nice choice

sonofabennett7 said...

Nice pick. This poem was a little funny at times, and others a little sad. But good the whole way through, I can see why you picked it. Keep up the good work.

John

Chris G said...

Nicee!
The first thing you mentioned about how having no dreams will cripple your life makes a lot of sense to me but i think that the poem is talking about a slightly different thing. I think that it is more that if you let your dreams go, you will also let your whole life go. IDK thats just what I think. But good choice of poem

Teddy H. said...

Of course you picked out a poem about dying dreams and birds that have broken wings. Way to be depressing, Jack. ; ) But seriously, you've made a splendid analysis, incorporating the use of metaphors and connotaion. I too agree with this poem, though I think instead of relating to me, it tells me to not let go of my goals and ultimatly follow my dreams (WWF, here I come!). So, yea, that's about all I've got to say. Come by my blog and post something sometime. I'm missing your sarcastic and skeptical wit... ; )

Unknown said...

I am also from the fans of this poem because it doesn't just let me dream,but it gives me plenty of energy and motivation to realize my dreams.Truly,this poem is very wonderful and tremondous and has a great impact upon its reader.

Unknown said...

I realy appreciate this poem .his theme is meaningful and it is easy to understand it.Moreover, it gives me the motivation to achieve and realize my dreams and how to realize it in our real life. Finnaly,all people must believe in their dreams and do the possible to achieve them because no life without dreams

DAHIA said...

This poem really touched my spirit strongly because I think dreams are the source of life and success. So person without dreams is a dead person

Dahia Aida

Unknown said...

malika REBOUH said:
it is a very interesting, wonderful and tremondous and has a great impact upon its reader.,it gave us hope in this life.because whenever there is dream,there is new chance for living.

Waleed Awnaly said...

Verily,It's Hughes' most prolific masterpiece that I've been appreciated a lot and affected me deeply,simultaneously expressed the desire for new start in life struggle in fulfilling the dreams that we are seeking for to become reality......

Unknown said...

What type of poem is this?
you know "Form"
what type of Form is it?

Anonymous007s said...

Thanks, man. I love the analysis